Even More Ways to Stay Connected and Get Support
OCRA is pleased to announce the offering of an additional four groups to our Staying Connected online support group series. Staying Connected is facilitated by our Patient Support team and meets weekly or monthly, depending on the focus of the group. The meetings provide connection with others who share similar experiences and concerns facing ovarian or other gynecologic cancers.
“This program has been a lifeline to those dealing with ovarian cancer. Whether it is a newly-diagnosed woman or someone dealing with recurrence, these Zoom sessions make it possible for women to bond with other women in the same situation. They have a place to go where they can share what they are going through and know there are others who understand and can relate. No one knows better what it is like to go through this than someone else who is or has gone through it.” Helen P, Woman to Woman mentor, Staying Connected participant
“Not a day goes by that I don’t think about all you wonderfully strong women.” Renate M, Staying Connected participant
The new groups are:
- Young Adult – dedicated to those aged 50 and under seeking help navigating the complexities of ovarian or gynecologic cancer. Young adults with a gynecologic cancer face unique circumstances as they try to balance their diagnosis and treatment with their work or school, and personal lives. (Tuesdays, Jan 25 – April 26, 7-8 pm ET)
- Giving Voice to Grief – Coping with the loss of a parent is hard, and can feel overwhelming, resulting in a wide range of emotions. Sharing experiences with others who have had a similar loss can reduce loneliness and cultivate meaning. This group, open to adult children, will use a variety of expressive tools to explore, honor and live with the loss of a parent. (Mondays, Feb 28 – Apr 18, 7-8:30pm ET)
- Mindfulness, Movement, and Cancer – This four-part series will include exercises that enhance mental and physical fitness, reduce stress and anxiety, and build emotion-focused coping skills. The first two sessions will focus on meditation. The last two will incorporate aspects of Pilates to further connect with the body through low-impact exercises and an emphasis on breath work. (Jan 31, Feb 28, Mar 28, Apr 25, 3-4 pm ET)
- Express Yourself – This monthly Expressive Arts series will provide an opportunity to create, explore and share. Each month’s session will combine a themed creative therapeutic activity with discussion. Project supplies will be mailed to participants in advance of each meeting. (Jan 20, Feb 10, Mar 24: 7-8:30 pm ET)
The above groups are in addition to our existing on-going sessions:
- Living Well – Open to all who have had a recurrence (Mondays, 1pm ET)
- New Diagnosis – For those newly diagnosed or recently off first-line treatment (Tuesdays, 1pm ET)
- Evolving Hope – Meet other survivors exploring advance care planning (Fridays, 1pm ET)
- Relationships After Diagnosis – On the topics of intimacy and relationship health (3rd Wednesday of month, 1pm ET)
- Partners and Spouses – Caregiver support (last Wednesday of month, 1pm ET)
Learn more about Staying Connected groups and register for sessions.
OCRA is grateful for the support of this program provided by GSK, AstraZeneca, Merck, and Gail Baird Foundation.