Things You May Not Have Been Told
After discussing your diagnosis and treatment plan with your health care team, it may feel like you know everything there is to know about what lies ahead. But there are some side effects and experiences you may not be anticipating, and some affirmations you may need to remind yourself of, for when you’ve been in the stirrups for too long, and you just don’t want to do it anymore!
- Sex can be painful after surgery due to a narrowing of the vagina. This is not uncommon.
- You may lose your hair….not just on your head.
- It’s ok to get tired of all the probing!
- It’s ok to ask questions…more than once!
- You may feel you’re too young to be so tired. Remember, this is only temporary.
- You have permission to be sad, mad, tired, annoyed, uncomfortable, irritated, [fill in the blank].
- Your fertility does not define you.
- It’s ok to ask your doctor to direct the conversation towards you. Oftentimes, doctors may speak directly to your parent or caregiver but remember – this is YOUR treatment and YOUR decision. It is good to include caregivers in the conversations as it is a lot of information, but ultimately you are the patient.