We hope everyone is enjoying some sunshine while keeping cool and hydrated. OCRA is keeping busy – planning our Uniting for Hope Ovarian Cancer National Conference; offering support to patients and their loved ones; funding grantees and their quest for better treatments and a cure. Read on to see the latest.
- OCRA funded a study that revealed a promising therapeutic option for boosting a patient’s immune response to tumors. Learn more about these findings and how the oncogene KDM5A is connected to epithelial ovarian cancer.
- A study co-authored by OCRA grantees Dr. Sohrab Shah and Dr. Dmitriy Zamarin, of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, uses machine learning to help predict prognosis and response to treatment for patients with high-grade serous ovarian cancer. Learn more about this ambitious project that’s innovating the field and helping to bring us closer to a cure.
- In a promising development for our community, the House Appropriations Committee recently approved the fiscal year 2023 Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies bill, which contains significant funding increases for key ovarian cancer programs. Thanks to everyone who advocates alongside us. Read more to see how your voices have made a difference.
- In other good news, President Biden announced his intent to appoint three panel members to the President’s Cancer Panel, one of whom is gynecologic oncologist Dr. Carol Brown. Read about her and the other experts, along with the panel’s priority actions.
- Our Staying Connected: Summer Series has been going strong. In June, we talked about relationships, this month we have been discussing fertility, and August’s focus will be on careers. Register for this series or one of our many other virtual support meetups.
- Meet Jessica, from Manassas, Virginia, who talks about Sertoli-Leydig cell ovarian cancer, and how having a rare form of the disease brings its own complications.
- Have you registered for OCRA’s Uniting for Hope Ovarian Cancer National Conference? Early bird pricing ends on July 31st. You don’t want to miss out on this 3-day virtual gathering that offers a front row seat to experts across the field of ovarian cancer. Find out the latest in treatments, gain insights from longtime survivors, and build community with those who truly understand.
- Excitement is building around OCRA’s #gameOVAR charity fundraising livestream event, taking place in the beginning of August. Do you know a livestreamer, or do you livestream yourself? We need you to help unlock a cure for ovarian cancer. Learn more about #gameOVAR.
There are many unique ways to give beyond a standard cash or stock donation. From jewelry to cars … even spare change! Here are just some of the many ways you can support OCRA’s mission.
- Turn your unwanted gold jewelry and sterling silver into a tax-deductible donation for OCRA with a simple two-step process. Jewelry for Good is a 501(3)(c) nonprofit that enables the secure donation of precious metals to OCRA for their full value. Learn more or get started.
- Donate your car and 80% of the sale will support OCRA. Vehicles for Charity offers free pick-up of used cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, recreational vehicles, campers, and more. For more information and to schedule a donation, call 1-866-628-2277 or complete their simple online form.
- Support OCRA by rounding up the spare change on your purchases to the nearest dollar, with Goodworld (formerly Cheerful Giving). You’ll receive monthly statements and tax deductible receipts to keep track of your contributions, can set a monthly limit on your donations, and can pause donations at any time.