The Overview | November 2022
As we approach the time of year when we reflect on all that we are thankful for, we at OCRA are grateful for you — our incredible community — who support us in this joined fight and inspire us every day to keep pushing forward.
- OCRA’s Ovarian Cancer National Conference videos will soon be available for everyone to watch. Learn all about (or rewatch) what’s new in research, treatment and survivorship; clinical trials; managing recurrence; genetics and genomics; sexuality and intimacy; plus so much more! Visit our website on November 21st to play the suite of presentations.
- Have you wanted to lend your voice and passion toward something meaningful? OCRA needs you as an Advocate Leader! We’ll train you to share your story with elected officials and increase your understanding of the issues facing our community. Applications close on November 23rd, so apply today! (Note: current Advocate Leaders need to reapply.)
- OCRA’s policy office is keeping a close eye on legislative actions that will impact those touched by ovarian and other gynecologic cancers. These include DIVERSE Trials Act (HR 5030/S 2760), VALID Act (HR 4128), and Medicare Multi-Cancer Early Detection Screening Coverage Act (HR 1946/S 1873). Follow us on social media (@ocrahope) to stay up to date on the latest information.
- November is National Caregivers Month, and OCRA is pleased to offer many programs aimed at supporting the loved ones who support those dealing with a gynecologic cancer. There are a few standalone sessions, but please note: the deadline to register for the first session listed below is tomorrow, November 11th. Register and learn more at the following links:
- And coming soon, we will have a Winter Loved Ones weekly series. Dates and times are still being worked out, so stay tuned for more information.
- January | Parents
- February | Partners/Spouses
- March | Adult Children
- Of course, we have programming for patients and survivors as well. OCRA is offering two Express Yourself groups in December, one of which will be catered to young adults and will meet on December 15th at 7pm ET. The theme for that group is Significant Circles: Bringing Color to This Time in Your Life. Register by Dec. 8th.
- November also marks National Hospice and Palliative Care Month. Learn more about these two types of care and how they can play a crucial role in improving quality of life for patients via this video presentation from Dr. Lori Spoozak, a gynecologic oncologist, palliative care specialist and physician champion of the Woman to Woman program at The University of Kansas Cancer Center.
- Giving Tuesday — or as we call it, #GiveHopeTuesday — is right around the corner, and once again, you can help unlock a gift just by posting on social media! An angel supporter will donate $50 for every post that talks about the importance of giving to OCRA. It really is that easy! Learn more and get ready to share your #GiveHopeTuesday story on November 29th.
Ways to Give
The holiday gift giving season is nearly upon us, and it’s easier than ever to support OCRA at the same time as you purchase gifts for everyone on your list.
- If you’re planning to shop with Amazon, choose OCRA as your AmazonSmile charity of choice, and a portion of your purchases will support the fight against ovarian cancer. To date, Amazon shoppers have raised almost $48,000 for OCRA’s research and programs.
- With Goodworld (formerly Cheerful Giving), you can round up your everyday purchases and donate the spare change to OCRA. A few cents here, a few cents there — every penny gets us one step closer to finding a cure.